by Pilar Portela, Media Relations Supervisor
Business Wire Florida recently hosted “Best Practices for Engaging the Media” at the beautiful Alfond Inn in Orlando with local journalists and bloggers. Among the topics discussed were what they look for in potential stories, how to pitch them, what they are doing to keep pace with social media, the latest media trends, just to name a few.
- Bess Auer, Founder, FLBlogCon, @Bess_Auer
- Steve Helling, Staff Writer, People Magazine and author Tiger: The Real Story, @SteveHelling
- Sean McNamara, Assistant News Director, WKMG-TV and ClickOrlando.com, @ClickOrlando
- Ned Popkins, former Business Editor, Orlando Sentinel , @NedPopkins
Beth Cocchiarella, President, EMC Public Relations, @bcocchiarella
Here are the Top 10 Takeaways from the panel discussion:
- If you can pitch a story in 140 characters or less, it’s most likely a great story.
- Ask yourself this question, “Would you read this story if you didn’t work there?”
- The subject and first line of a pitch email often determine success.
- Reinforcing the value of knowing your target before you pitch. Before you pitch, know what the reporters and bloggers write about.
- Most newspaper reporters monitor and follow people on their beat. It’s pretty decentralized. Know their beats.
- Building personal relationships with bloggers is very important and social media is the best tool. Keep in mind most bloggers are not journalists and have other day jobs.
- Journalism is still about telling a good story regardless of the medium. The tools used to tell the stories are now different.
- What defines the news? News piece that’s interesting. Best with good pictures and video. Use multimedia in your pitches!
- Online coverage is great and easy to track. Better results and can get numbers from it. Hard copy is not as prevalent.
- Social media = ratings on adrenaline for news assignment editors.
Thank you to our amazing moderator and panelists for a fantastic and informative discussion!
If you missed the event you can also check out the Twitter conversation on #BWORLMedia and Storify at http://storify.com/pilarp/nov-8-orlando-media-panel-best-practices-for-engag.
For upcoming local Business Wire events or our award-winning webinar series, visit our events page or follow Business Wire events on Twitter, hashtag #bwchat.