by Serena Ehrlich, Director of Social + Evolving Media, Business Wire
For many years, communication programs did not utilize input from every department in the company before launching. Thankfully, this has changed.
Today’s most successful communication programs run across many different divisions to maximize even the smallest program’s potential success. In addition to increasing the potential for success, cross-department programs provide deeper insights necessary for future programs. Below, we breakdown how marketing and PR support the impact of the press release.
When it comes to increasing the impact of a marketing program, for more than 50 years, one method continues to be most effective way to distribute your news – a commercial newswire service.
Press releases containing photos and/or videos and easy to find social sharing buttons, issued over a commercial wire service continue to be the most cost-effective way to reach journalists, bloggers, analysts, online and offline media, social networks, customers, and prospects. Press releases are measured by quality of coverage, its impact on the company’s reputation and brand goals, action taken by readers and the amount of sharing across social networks.
The new tactics you must employ now to support your press releases and measure their impact include:
- Sharing social media messaging with brand fans and influencers, including a link back to your website, each tailored to the news’ target audience. Social actions taken related to your news are measured by overall shares, shares by influencers, link clicks and, most importantly, the quality of inbound traffic.
- Posting and directing journalists to blog posts that directly answer the questions you know journalists will ask you. This increases the likelihood of company message adoption and decrease real or perceived anxiety by journalists and consumers about your message, brand or organization.
- Advertising on key industry media, highlighting the benefits of your product or brand is a terrific way to decrease the amount of time it takes a user to make a decision. Advertising success is measured by desired action taken, clicks, impressions, downloads etc.
- Utilizing online media syndication services like dlvr.it and Outbrain which can help increase visibility of valuable coverage and is best measured by impressions, views and quality of inbound traffic
- Creating social channel messages for colleagues, customers and partners to share across their own social channels. Use a unique URL to more easily track shares, inbound traffic and the quality of that traffic
- Implement paid and non-paid influencer program to decrease sales consideration time. This can have an impact on an increase in discussion, message adoption, social reach, quality of inbound traffic leads and amount of time before desired action taken.
These six steps increase the impact of your press release, as well as provide you with the valuable insights needed to revise messaging for future programs. Which message resonated best with your various audiences? What asset or platform provided the best ROI?
The press release & the modern marketing mix – 6 #prtips by @serena http://ow.ly/sC4NY