Last week, Business Wire presented audiences with an inside view of the global news agency Agence France-Presse (AFP) and tips on how to pitch your business news to their global editorial team. AFP is one of the largest newswires in the world, behind Associated Press and Reuters, with regional offices and bureaus covering breaking and business news generated in over 150 countries.
Our panelists included David Williams, deputy editor-in-chief; Amina Ben Cheikh, marketing manager of web and mobile; and Francois Bohn, international sales coordinator. The event was moderated by Raschanda Hall.
The webinar provided listeners with a better understanding of AFP’s international reach and offered best practices in securing news coverage from AFP journalists and staff around the world.
Click here to listen to this discussion: https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/recording/7831143293398660097
During the hour-long event speakers shared key figures that depict just how many lives are reached as a result of AFP’s news coverage, including:
- 5 24-hour regional headquarters in Washington, Montevideo, Paris, Nicosia, and Hong Kong.
- 200 news bureaus around the world
- 150 countries covered
- 1,500 journalists filing news 24/7
- 2,300 staff covering world news
- 800 subsequent media subscribers utilize Business Wire’s news feed
- Partnerships, such as those with CBS
- AFP mobile app which provides instant access to breaking news, and news releases alike (in fact, news releases happen to be one of the most accessed sections of their English language news app)
In addition to the news agency’s global reach with coverage ranging from sports to business, AFP also has 1.4 million Twitter followers including nearly 400k English speaking followers.
It’s clear that Agence France-Presse has its ears to the ground all around the globe, but how does that translate into news coverage? What is the impact of AFP reporting on the world in a single day? In a single day, AFP is responsible for writing and distributing more than 8,000 pieces of news content.
What was especially fascinating was the importance of Business Wire to AFP’s corporate news coverage. As Williams noted, every AFP economic news editor is required to monitor Business Wire for breaking company news throughout their day. Why?
- Speed: AFP relies on Business Wire’s business news feed because it is fast and efficient, and often times quicker than receiving news via a company’s website. Business Wire feeds are especially important for earnings releases.
- Accuracy: When it comes to crafting coverage, the most important element of the news coverage for AFP is accuracy.
- Trusted source: As David Williams noted, company news releases received from approved commercial newswires such as Business Wire provide a level of trust in the shared content.
When asked how PR professionals can increase the potential of news release coverage by AFP?
- Write compelling news releases
- Include a useful, humanized quote
- Add compelling multimedia
- Distribute news releases over a trusted newswire like Business Wire
- Reach out to AFP’s local news bureau (Click here to find the one closest to you: http://www.afp.com/en/agency/afp-in-world/)
The journey of a release starts as news coverage of just a single sentence, later evolving into a several hundred word piece before being developed into a full feature. Afterwards an AFP post, possibly in multiple languages, may follow to offer readers background information. Oftentimes more than one reporter will be covering a story, including translation for distribution in multiple regions.
Why is AFP an important resource for today’s local, regional, national and international communication pros?
When a company makes an announcement, it wants that information to reach the largest interested audience possible. That is the cornerstone of converting a news release into news. With roots dating back to 1835, AFP is a world leader in bringing breaking stories to the public. If you have newsworthy content crossing the wire, make sure to contact the corresponding regional headquarters and bring their attention to the release. Because they have so many journalists regularly checking BW’s feeds, there’s a good chance they’re already on top of it.
- Click here to share information about working with AFP via Twitter: http://ctt.ec/F85d2
- Listen to the webinar here: https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/recording/7831143293398660097
- Learn more about AFP at www.AFP.com
- Contact us for more information about distributing your news releases over Business Wire